As we who have done it know, running your own vacation rental is not the cakewalk it might seem from the apparently handsome returns. Behind any pristine, profitable vacation rental property there is someone putting in a lot of time and effort. And for that success to be ongoing, a lot of that effort should be directed at ensuring that you keep your property clean and as presentable as possible.
Remember that your guests will be used to the traditional hospitality industry and will probably have stayed in hotels where they expected everything to be spotless and functioning and, as any hotelier will tell you, very ready to complain if it was not so.
You may not have the resources and staff of a large corporate hotelier, but the expectations of your property will be similarly exacting. And nor, when things go wrong, can we hide behind the bureaucracy of a larger organisation: the buck stops with us.
Rigorous standards applied
While guests may not apply the same rigorous standards at home, once they’re on vacation they expect high standards of cleanliness with not a trace of any previous occupant. People take lasting first impressions from the first few moments in your property and if it doesn’t smell right or looks less than clean from the moment they cross the threshold, you may have lost your repeat guests and will earn no glowing review. A used tissue on the bedside table or an old sock on the bathroom floor will never be overlooked.
The need to keep your property clean then, should be a high priority. Unless you’re doing it yourself, a good reliable cleaner is like gold dust. Skimp on what you pay your cleaner and he or she may skimp on the cleaning, leaving you the loser.
Cleaning is clearly an industry preoccupation as other blog commentators like Derek Evens illustrate. Here are his tips to keep your property clean, and ensure trouble-free running:
- First impressions REALLY do matter. Clean, clean, clean! No matter how clean it is, the vacationers will want it cleaner, so splurge a little here to keep your property clean.
- Use only white sheets, you can continue to bleach them, always removing the stains, allowing the sheets to always look and be as clean as possible.
- Reduce the clutter, you might love the glass fish, but it is just one more thing to appear dirty.
- Don’t forget the refrigerator, this needs to be cleaned between every vacationer – they put their food in there, it will be scrutinized.
- Remember about the BBQ, you might need to replace the grill plates more often, nobody wants to cook on a rusty/dirty grill.
So, give your guests a clean welcome and keep your property clean – or you may be looking at a clean pair of heels.